This article analysis is written in analysis of an essay written by Jordan Schildcrout entitled “The Performance of Nonconformity on the Muppet Show- or, How Kermit Made Me Queer. This article is designed to compare the characters of the popular 70’s The Muppet Show to the socially acceptable norms of its times. What is discovered is the vast challenges this show made to acceptable social norms and how these challenges were subtle upon first inspection, but when studied became very apparent. This article is analyzed to show just how those norms were challenged and how this show became a huge part of popular culture of its time.
Jim Henson, creator of the Muppet Show, got his start as the chief creator of Sesame Street, a popular Children’s Television Workshop show, designed around Henson’s puppet characters. Sesame Street first appeared in 1969 and continues to this day. While Henson was held to themes and characters designed to enhance childhood learning, he possessed a very radical side. As he was unable to express his personal views with Sesame Street he came up with the idea for the Muppet Show. When he first marketed the show idea to major television executives they shot him down. The show was eventually picked up by a production studio in England and exploded in its first year.
As I stated above, many accepted social norms were challenged during the Muppet Show’s reign on television. Among the norms challenged were, women’s perceived role as homemaker, sexual orientation (homesexual vs. heterosexual), and all sorts of race issues prevalent at that time. While this show was produced and aired largely from 1976 to 1981, its popularity continues to this day with full-scale movies centered around the show’s Muppet character cast.
To begin, Schildcrout points out the many social norms that are challenged. He talks about homosexuality and how the show touched the subject without literally touching the subject. One example that is used is the appearance of Elton John on the program and notes that this appearance was not long after John made his bisexuality publically known. One of the Muppet characters takes offense to John’s “flamboyant dress”, stating that his appearance borders on revolutionary. In essence he is challenging John’s presence on this show as improper. He makes a statement about Mozart not being a fancy dresser as a rebuttal to Kermit’s statement that most musicians are flamboyant dressers. When he realizes he has lost the argument the show takes a new direction. By the end of that episode all of the cast are dressed flamboyantly including Sam the Eagle. This particular episode thrust homosexuality into the open light of discussion while never using the language.
Shildcrout goes on to discuss the show’s approach to racial issues. The Muppet characters’ racial ethnicity was sometimes very hard to distinguish while some characters were very apparently white. Such as Statler and Waldorf who he describes as the elderly curmudgeons, others are not as easily distinguished. Many of the characters did not represent any minority group. They were non-ethnic if there is such a thing. Coming in all sizes and colors and the fact that most of the characters were not even human made this possible. Because most of the characters were not human gave the show the ability to place them in all sorts of circumstances without social prejudice. Issues could be attacked without the social stigma of racism and stereotyping. This made it possible for the creators of the Muppet Show to challenge many of the cultural norms they attacked.
In the end, it is clear that the Muppet Show was able to cross cultural lines playing to all audiences without preconceived bias. This made it possible to make fun of, portray, and challenge social stereotypes from sexual orientation to racial ethnicity. The lack of racial identification of the cast gave them the ability to serve as who they were without racial and sexual bias. In conclusion, the show and its creator Jim Henson proved to be genius in confronting cultural norms and challenging the very foundations that held them up. The show’s popularity proved how successful this method of portrayal placed to all audiences.
Reference
J. Schildcrout (2008). The Performance of Nonconformity on the Muppet Show- or How Kermit Made Me Queer. The Journal of Popular Culture, Vol. 41, No. 5, 2008
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I remember watching the Muppet Show as a child. I remember seeing Elton John on the show but until now I would have never recognized that they were trying to address the issue of homosexuality. I also think that the fact Miss Piggy blatantly pursued Kermit showed a challenge of the thought that men had to take charge in a relationship. She was proof that a woman could also take charge and go after what she wants.
I have always enjoyed watching the Muppet Show and all the movies, past and present. After reading the article and your paper, this is information I had never really thought about or realized the messages they were sending out. I agree the show definitely had plenty of stereotypes and they got away with it. Even after realizing this new information I still find the show extremely funny and will continue to watch it when it is televised.
I have never found this show funny, I had always thought it was stupid. Bill Cosby also addresses such issues with Fat Albert and Little Bill. I find it amazing how you can get your message across without actually addressing it directly. Children are very impresionable, I wonder if these aren't the cause of the way kids act now days. Children and parents look to this show as an acceptable viewing meduim and didn't pay much attention to the content. These shows may have harmed kids more than violent shows whos contents are known.
Good job
Jim
I agree with the comments made before me. I've seen the show a couple times when I was younger and never picked up on any of this. Perhaps it was my age. I don't think I would pick up on it today either. I like what Jim said about getting a message across without actually being straight forward. I think sometimes writers and directors deliberatly try to hide subliminal messages or stereotypes within shows just because they can. For parents today, this is something to look out for because a show like that could end up doing more harm than good to a young, impressionable mind.
Post a Comment