Sunday, October 5, 2008

Assignment 1-4: Weekly Written Analysis 1

Blogging:
What exactly is blogging? Until I started this class on popular culture I could only guess at the answer. I have never been one to use the internet for social engagement including using chat rooms. I realize the popularity of such tools, but have never been drawn to using them. So when I first heard the term “Blogging” I could only imagine what it was. I never made any attempt to understand the topic as it never interested me. After starting my own blog for this course I have been amazed by the extreme popularity of the communication tool.

According to M. Conniff (2005), the definition of a blog contains “"I can define them for you very easily," Jason Calcanis says. "There are three main features of a blog: the first is reverse chronological order, the second is unfiltered content -- the second somebody filters or edits the author it's no longer a blog -- and the third is comments." Calcanis's insistence on a precise definition puts him clearly in a minority of blogging experts who mostly admit they can't or won't define exactly what constitutes a blog.” As you can see from this definition there is no exact definition of a blog. In fact, when researching the topic on the internet, it seems many are hesitant to try and define a blog. So what is a blog? A blog in my opinion, is a discussion of any topic the author sees fit. Most blogs are open for popular discussion meaning anyone can post a comment to and contribute openly to the discussion taking place. This also makes a blog a very dynamic discussion moving in many different directions based on the opinions and contributions of its readers.
So, the next time you ask the question: What is a blog?, try searching the internet for the answer. You will probably end up more confused than when you started, but you will also come up with some fantastic information. I was not one to take advantage of the level of communication the internet has to offer in the form of a blog. However, I have taken the plunge and am glad I did. Next time you have some free time try blogging. You’ll enjoy it.

Reference
Conniff, M. (2005). Just What is a Blog. Retrieved October 5, 2008 from http://www.ojr.org/ojr/stories/050929/

1 comment:

Clarice Spencer said...

DITTO, I still have some intrepedation with using chat rooms outside of online learning, because let's not kid ourselves there are some real creeps out there. For some real blog entertainment try watching bloggingheads.tv.